Thanksgiving is here! That means it’s time for cool weather, turkey, and, most importantly, booze. Thanksgiving is a season of gratitude where we celebrate with the ones we love most and good food. What better way to top it all off than a Thanksgiving alcoholic drink?
One of the best parts about Thanksgiving is that it is smack dab in the middle of two major holidays: Halloween and Christmas. That means you get the best of both worlds in terms of celebrations and flavor profiles. You could stay with the rich flavors of fall, utilizing pumpkin and maple, or ease into the wonders of Christmas. The choice is up to you.
If you are looking to spice up this year's Thanksgiving celebration, look no further. Here at Ohza, we’ve got you covered on all the know-how of the top Thanksgiving alcoholic drinks that we are grateful for and know you will be too. Here are our favorite Thanksgiving drinks worth celebrating.
Winner, Winner Turkey Dinner
Everyone knows that the star of the Thanksgiving plate is the turkey. No Thanksgiving meal is complete without it. Did you know that there are lots of different alcohols that pair well with turkey?
Whether you are a beer lover, a wine connoisseur, or a water with lemon kind of person, we have the perfect pairings for you and the beloved Thanksgiving bird.
Let’s start with the all-time favorite.
When we think of a traditional Thanksgiving beverage, a glass of red wine comes to mind. Pinot Noir seems to be the top pick as its low tannin levels pair well with the flavors of the turkey, not to mention that the deep red color is appealing in the fall.
While red wine does pair very well with turkey, it is not the only choice of drink.
Despite popular belief, white wine has delicious elements that pair well with turkey as well. Sauvignon Blancs are great for balancing out the herbaceous flavors in turkey dressings and help cleanse the palette.
Dry sparkling wines are the best for cleansing the palette and help pair with the contrasting flavors found in Thanksgiving turkey and the classic sides.
Surprisingly, beer is a great pairing for turkey dinners. Here are our beer picks for Thanksgiving.
- A rich, full-bodied IPA
- A Saison
- Amber Ale, an iconic choice for a fall ale. It's rich and perfect for the cooler seasons.
- Strong Belgian Ale
- Brown Ale
3. Hard Cider
Hard ciders are a great option if beer or wine isn’t your style. Opt for a hard cider to complement the herbs of the turkey and side dishes. Cider has a great neutral, slightly sweet taste that goes with pretty much anything.
If wine, beer, or cider isn't your speed, turkey is one of those meats that can go with just about anything if you do it right.
Seasonal Cocktails to Be Thankful For
One of the best parts of fall is definitely the seasonal cocktails. Fall provides an array of flavors that are exclusive to the cooler months.
Pumpkin, ginger, and other seasonal flavors help make the cooler months worthwhile. These flavors aren't just good in lattes and desserts, though. They are perfect for cocktails.
Here are some of our favorite Thanksgiving spins on classic cocktails.
4. Cranberry Sauce Gin and Tonic
Cranberry sauce is a staple for every Thanksgiving dinner plate. Whether you love it or hate it, this cocktail may change your mind about cranberry sauce for the better. It is topped off with a lemon slice for a refreshing and tangy fall drink.
5. Maple Martini
One of the most subtly sweet flavors of fall is maple syrup. Maple syrup is a great way to sweeten up a martini and tie in all those flavors of autumn into an adult beverage worth enjoying.
6. Mulled Apple Cider
This Mulled Apple Cider is the perfect beverage to make when there is a chill in the air. Make one batch for the adults and one for the kiddos. It will be a hit with everyone at your dinner party.
7. Ohza Mimosas
Here at Ohza, we pride ourselves on being convenient and accessible. If you want to avoid all the hassle of mixing cocktails up yourself, we’ve got you covered.
Pop open one of our Cranberry Mimosas and celebrate the things you are thankful for.
Home Mixologist for the Holidays
When the holidays roll around, sometimes we get thrown into roles we aren't necessarily prepared for—head chef, expert baker, grill master, and more. But under pressure, we can do some amazing things in and out of the kitchen.
If you get thrown into the role of mixologist for Thanksgiving dinner this year, there are some basic things you will need to make some delicious cocktails for you and your guests. These base alcohols are the best to have stocked up ready to go so you can dive right in for your dinner party.
- Vodka: Vodka is the base for many cocktails. It’s a great staple to have on hand for any occasion due to its versatility.
- Baileys: This classic coffee and chocolate liqueur is the top choice for cocktails involving chocolates or coffee flavors.
- White Rum: White Rum is the base for many fall mixed drinks. It pairs very well with spiced flavors like pumpkin or ginger.
- Fireball: If you like shots, this is the best option for a fall shot. It also perks up a glass of apple cider or a mug of hot chocolate like no one’s business.
- Whiskey: Whiskey pairs well with so many fall beverages. It is so easy to add a little bit to any drink to take your autumnal beverage up a few notches. Bonus points if you use a specialty whiskey!
- Amaretto: Amaretto is one of the best-flavored liqueurs around. The almond flavoring pairs well with many other flavors, and its subtle sweetness make it the perfect choice for fall mixed drinks.
Mixologist Accessories for the Holidays
Another necessity is cocktail accessories—these accessories are fun, festive, and will make your life a whole lot easier. Here are some fool-proof accessories that will help you be the home bartender of the century.
- Cocktail Shaker: This is a staple for Thanksgiving drinks and then some. A cocktail shaker is one of the best at-home ways to make bar-quality cocktails.
- Copper Mugs: Copper mugs are a cute, easy way to present your fall cocktails. The copper look is classic and perfect for the fall, even if you’re not making a Moscow Mule. They're also easy to clean, affordable, and look fantastic in an Instagram picture.
- Cocktail Strainer: If your shaker doesn't already have a strainer built into it, definitely invest in a cocktail strainer. This is the best way to squeeze all that flavor out and not over-ice your drinks!
Other great mugs and accessories include:
- Wine glasses
- Mason Jars
- Custom ice cube trays
Being a home mixologist doesn’t have to be hard or expensive. Get creative and explore different flavors and techniques for your next dinner party.
Host the Thanksgiving of Your Dreams
Everything is ready for you to host Thanksgiving dinner. You’ve got the turkey, the sides, and now, most importantly, the drinks.
Your guests will appreciate the extra love and care you have put into the dinner party. Thanksgiving is all about being grateful and spending time with people that you love. Whether you choose to share it with your family, friends, or other loved ones, we hope that you find joy and thankfulness in the making of these cocktails.