Planning a baby shower can be a fun and rewarding thing to do. But it can also be a little stressful. You need to make sure that there is not only enough food planned out, but you also have to keep mama-to-be in mind as well. We are here to help take the ease off of your party planning.
Whether you pick a fun theme to plan around or are just looking for something fun and celebratory, we have some great ideas for the meals and small bites to celebrate the arrival of a little bundle of joy.
Here’s how we recommend planning your baby shower menu.
Planning the Menu
When it comes to planning your menu, there are a few key things you need to take into account:
- Dietary Restrictions (for mama, baby, and specific guests)
- Alcoholic vs. Non-alcoholic drinks
- Themes or Color Palettes
When planning your menu, it's important to consider what the expecting mama can and can't eat. While feeding lots of guests is important, taking care of the expecting mother who is being celebrated should come first, even if that mama is you!
Here are some foods that should stay on the mama-to-be’s no-no list.
- Deli Meats
- Smoked Seafood
- Soft Cheeses (Brie, Feta, Queso Blanco, etc.)
- Fresh Squeezed Juice
- Alcohol of any kind
Avoiding these foods is easy enough when it comes to menu planning. Just be extra considerate, knowing the dietary health restrictions of the guests and the expecting mother.
Small Bites for the Shower
Regardless of the theme or color palette that you pick, appetizers and finger foods are always a great idea for a baby shower. Appetizers allow guests to grab and go, so they can mingle as they eat.
There will be other elements to plan, like decorating your venue, so keep your foods simple and easy to reduce your stress. Your food can absolutely be easy to make while still being delicious, so you’re not missing out on anything. It is also a good idea to prep everything before your guests arrive so you can just dig in.
Here are some of our favorite appetizers for your next baby shower.
This is one of the easiest appetizers to make and share. Just slice up some baguette, toast it, and top with your favorite ingredients. One of the easiest grab-and-go foods, bruschetta is guaranteed to wow your guests and their taste buds too. Popular topping choices include:
- Fresh Mozzarella
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Cream Cheese
- Fig Jam
- Red and Yellow Peppers
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
2. Ham and Cheese Quiche
All you have to do is start with a pie crust, whether it’s homemade or store-bought. Prep time should only take around 15 minutes, and you can mix up the egg mixture the night before so that all you have to do day-of is bake. Serve the quiche warm or at room temperature.
It’s easy to customize the flavors of your quiche so you can have something that all your guests will enjoy. You could also switch it up and make mini quiches to serve as a small bite.
3. Baked Blueberry Donuts
These donuts are easy to make, easy to grab, and will definitely go quickly.
Small bites can be either savory or sweet, and we recommend having a variety of options. A selection of small, tasty treats can even be used in place of a full-on meal if you have enough choices. Just provide good, filling appetizers and some refreshing drinks, and that will be more than enough to keep your guests fed and happy.
You can also encourage your guests to bring something of their own to the baby shower to make it more of a potluck. Most guests won’t mind bringing a shareable item for the party. This method will give you even more variety, as well as some fun surprises when it comes to the food.
This means less planning, less cleanup, and more enjoying the whole reason why you’re having a baby shower in the first place—your little one!
4. Mocktails for Mama
One of the ultimate sacrifices that expecting mothers make is giving up alcohol for their little one. It’s good for the expecting mom’s soul to partake in a mocktail at her own baby shower. Making sure that the expecting mom is included in her own event is worth going the extra mile for.
Thankfully there are many non-alcoholic beverage options that the pregnant mama and other sober guests will be grateful for. Here are some easy mocktails that everyone will enjoy.
- Virgin Mojito: Alcoholic or not, this drink is absolutely delicious. It’s a great option for a baby shower mocktail.
- Non-Alcoholic Margarita: This is a fun and fruity way to still get the flavors you love, just in a non-alcoholic version that everyone will still enjoy.
- Pina Colada: This is one of the easiest drinks to make alcohol-free and still delicious. You can choose from a variety of flavors, too, so it is a great refreshing option at your baby shower.
All it takes is some juice and some sparkling alcohol-free wine, and you are set for a baby-friendly mimosa.
5. Cocktails for the Guests
Once we have safe foods and drinks for mama and baby, it's important to have some other options for our guests too. A good fun idea is to keep your cocktails themed to the baby shower. Here are some on-brand baby shower cocktails that you and your guests will be head over heels for.
- Diaper Baby Cocktail: This fun baby shower cocktail is perfectly on brand and delicious. The drink is milk-based and can be easily customizable with sweet or subtle flavors. You can also easily make this drink using alternative milk like oat, almond, or soy.
- Cotton Candy Cocktail: This is a fun way to celebrate the gender of your baby. Use pink or blue cotton candy to garnish this delicious cocktail for you and your guests. (Or use yellow or green for a gender-neutral option!) Save some cotton candy for mama, too, since she can't enjoy this cocktail.
- Pop Rocks Cocktail: This cocktail is a fun way to remind you and your guests of the whimsicalness of childhood. Add some of the syrup and Pop Rocks to a cocktail glass. Next, add all the other ingredients, without the prosecco, in a shaker. Add some ice, shake and strain juice into the cocktail glass and add some fresh ice and the prosecco.
Of course, alcohol isn't a requirement, but it is a fun way to be creative through your beverages and help your adult guests unwind and enjoy themselves.
Your Baby Shower Beverage of Choice
Since you are prepping lots of food and organizing menus, you may be looking for something simple and hassle-free when it comes to your drinks. You could go all out and create your own drink bar, but that requires planning that you may not have extra time or money for.
Of course, set aside that extra care for your expecting mother’s food and drink, but when it comes to the other guests, you are going to want to keep things simple.
Here at Ohza, we know that planning any event can be stressful and overwhelming. We are here to help. With our conveniently packed, full-flavored cocktails, you don't have to worry about the booze for your next event. Just pack a 12 pack of our canned cocktails into a cooler and call it a day—you won’t even have to worry about cleaning up glasses when the event is over.
You are already going to have to worry about a food table, a gift table, and more. Don’t go through all the fuss of adding a drink station when you can pop open a cocktail from anywhere with ease. You and your guests are worth celebrating, and that shouldn’t be a hard thing to do.